Thursday, May 19, 2011

ONE DOWN: fifteen to go

Just a quick update about today's session.

The morning started off with a lot of wonderful emails and text messages from friends and family--some made me laugh, and some brought tears to my eyes, but it was all good.  I let myself have a quick cry (see: Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News") before putting on my makeup...and off we went.


(that video quality is not awesome...but you get the idea....)

The morning went pretty slowly (which we were told to expect).  The nurses accessed my Smart Port and drew some blood for the labs.  Once my results were in, I was given an anti-nausea pill and then treated to IV doses of Zantec, Benadryl, and some steroids.  The medicines all work together to stave off nausea and also to prevent strong allergic reactions to the chemo.  So, while I checked in around 9 I really wasn't even given the Taxol until sometime after 11....(I have been watching Season 2 of "The Good Wife" on my iPad while waiting...so time actually goes by pretty fast...)  Today the Taxol was dripped in slowly over the course of about an hour to make sure my body didn't have a major adverse reaction.  I think over the course of the next twelve weeks the drip rate will increase somewhat.

The good news: during the chemo treatment I did not have a major allergic reaction nor did I feel any bad side effects.

We came home, had some lunch, and I went to BED.  I am not sure if the chemo had me tired out or if it was the 50 mg of Benadryl but I needed a little snooze.  It was not terribly restful, but it was good to relax.  I then got up and walked to O's daycare where I was met by G in the car.  Dr. Chui stopped by this morning during my session and reminded me to EX-ER-CISE so I did...

Around 6:30 tonight I had wave of nausea so I quickly ran upstairs and took one of my pills.  I feel better now but am ready for bed after a long day.

Apparently, I can expect the side effects to hit 2-5 days out--which effects, their severity, and exactly when all remain T.B.D.

But so far, nothing too exciting to report.  And I'm good with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment