Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and we spent it returning from our weekend at the beach. 

We had a great weekend--we left Saturday morning (after my walk around the neighborhood!) and celebrated O's birthday with cousins, aunts & uncles with a pirate-themed party.  The kids did face painting, there was a treasure hunt, and a good time was had by all!  Sunday my cousin, her daughter, O and I went on a nice 2-mile walk from Klipsan Beach to Ocean Park.  I was feeling a little on the light-headed side at the end of the trip so I had G come pick us up instead of a round-trip excursion. 

All in all, I still have limited side effects--I feel spaced out, dehydrated, tired, and have a funny metally-taste in my mouth a lot--but still nothing MAJOR (knock on wood).  A weekend like the one at the beach was fun, but I was definitely tired at the end of it all!  Getting stuck twice in traffic on the way home with a toddler refusing to nap did not add to my happiness....and as for my Memorial Day Exercise?  I worked in the yard, which I'm sure would not "count" to Dr. Chui but it felt good to do a little work out there in the fresh air and it got my heart pumping a bit...(back to the elliptical today, though!)

However, Memorial Day puts something like survivable cancer in perspective for me.  And instead of spending any more time complaining about the I-5 Bridge being raised or food not tasting as good to me, I will instead wrap up by thanking the service men and women who have sacrificed family, holidays, delicious meals, the comforts of home, and sometimes even their lives for our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment