Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Into the Tunnel

So my friend Ginny recently likened this chemo anxiety I'm having to the fear of going into a tunnel without knowing how dark the tunnel will get before I make it out to the other side.  I thought that was a great analogy, and it got me thinking about one of the SCARIEST MOVIES I have ever seen.

Before I name the movie, I have to say to all you horror film aficionados that I am not, myself, personally a connoisseur of scary movies so if you think I'm a wimp for finding this particular movie "the scariest" I don't care.  I also don't care to hear what movie is scarier because I won't see it: I get way too scared! 

But I married a lover of scary movies and while usually he goes it alone we were up in Seattle one week years ago and we each picked a movie we wanted to see while we were there.  I chose "Little Miss Sunshine."  G chose "The Descent."


For those of you who haven't seen this movie, it is about a group of women who go spelunking in unknown caves in the Appalachian Mountains.  Now, to be honest with you, probably a movie just about spelunking would be scary to me but (SPOILER ALERT!) not only do they climb through too-small tunnels that collapse behind them cutting off their only known route of escape, they also encounter the flesh-eating cave dwellers who are among the creepiest movie creeps ever:

 
They have to fight off these scary monsters that are blind but have sonar-sense and in doing so they hide in pools of blood and other gross stuff. 

My point of this post? 

I WOULD NEVER GO SPELUNKING, or SPELUNK, or whatever you call it, because I would never voluntarily rappel down to middle earth and crawl through tunnels which may or may not collapse behind me! 

Likewise, I do not want to voluntarily  hook myself up to a machine that will inject my body with poisons that may (or may not) give me constipation or diarrhea, nausea, hair loss, darkened nail beds, mouth sores, chemo brain & fatigue!

I guess chemo isn't really voluntary, though, is it?  So my descent begins in two days.  On the bright side: I'm killing cancer!  On the even BRIGHTER side, I won't have to deal with any sonar-powered-flesh-eating-cave-dwellers.

So there's that!

3 comments:

  1. Heidi, just catching up on what has been going on. Keep up the positive attitude. Prayers and happy thoughts coming your way.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I ended up running into another 'we travel in small circles' acquaintance tonight...you will probably be getting an email. Thoughts and prayers going out to you as you start our new journey in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending all good thoughts for tomorrow.
    xo
    Anne

    ReplyDelete