Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Options

As you know, this is a blog about breast cancer.  The phrase "breast cancer" is such a part of our consciousness and society with all the pink ribbons and everything that I almost forget that at its core this blog is about my boobs!

I've tried to be pretty honest and share my anxieties, complaints, good times and bad on this blog...I know a lot of people read it, friends of my parents, co-workers, a few judges....

Which is why I have to warn you now, reader, that this particular blog entry is going to be about

MY BOOBS

so, if reading about my boobs is going to make you uncomfortable, 






Today I met with the plastic surgeons and discussed my options.

Basically, there are two.

First, I could do a DIEP Flap Reconstruction, which would use my own tissue and fat from my abdominal area to re-build my breasts.

THE PROS:

  • it would be all natural
  • I'd basically get a tummy-tuck to boot
  • I for sure could do it on the same day as my mastectomy

THE CONS:

  • the surgery itself is 12-16 hours on top of the mastectomy
  • I will be in the hospital 5-7 days assuming all goes well with the surgery
  • as ample as I feel my stomach is, it really wouldn't result in a size upgrade
  • the recovery time is much longer given the two surgical sites on my body
  • it is not ideal if I am planning on having another child
Second, I could get implants.

THE PROS:
  • I can go up a cup size (I should note, that when I said that to the surgical resident she replied, "Yes, so you'd be proportionate..." Not an ego boost!)
  • I will be out of the hospital in a day or two at the longest
THE CONS:
  • It is unlikely I will be able to do both on the same day--the plan would be to put expanders in (and go in once every week or so until the surgery to add liquid to the expanders) and then I'd have another out-patient surgery about two months after the mastectomy
  • Implants should be replaced every 10 years or so
After talking with the surgeons and G, I've decided that for where I am in my life right now, the implants are the better option although I really really wanted to get it all done at once.  

At least the reconstruction is an out-patient procedure....and in general I think the recovery will be better.  O has had to deal with a half-energy Mommy long enough!

I was also told that I could do a DIEP procedure later in life if I wanted to change things out.  That gives me plenty of time to eat more Ben & Jerry's and go double-D!

No comments:

Post a Comment