Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Best Part of the Holiday Weekend (she wrote, sarcastically)....

As I rushed to put up my update this morning I realized I forgot the most horrendous part of my holiday weekend!  (Perhaps it is a result of the "chemo brain" they warned us about in class...I truly am not firing on all cylinders these days.)

ANYWAY: went to the store with O on Sunday--he absolutely loves to sit in the cart and be pushed around!!  We were innocently walking past the eggs when a woman in her 60s or 70s (I'd guess) stopped me, asking if I was "going through something?"  (Uh, yeah, is the bald head a giveaway on that or what?  It is "Portlandia" but still...)  I replied I was, and she looked at O, her eyes welling with tears, and said, "And this is why you are fighting."  She then hugged me.  For a L O N G time.  Then she stroked O's face (even at age 2 he was totally weirded out by by this encounter).

Then she approached a man and his daughter who were behind us and asked that little girl, "Is that your Mommy?" and the man and girl quickly (and probably happily) replied, "NO!"


I know that this woman was being nice, and probably has been touched in some huge way herself by cancer.  I'm not angry or even irritated by her gesture, but it is so NOT ME. 

I also know that those of you who know me would find this little story amusing so I had to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment