Monday, October 31, 2011

Home from the Hospital

Friday I had my bilateral mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy.

Here is a photo of the view from my room:




Thursday afternoon I went into the doctor for my mapping procedure--where a dye was injected into my breast.  Then during the surgery, Dr. Naik used a sensor to find the sentinel node and remove it.  It tested POSITIVE for cancer, so that meant more lymph nodes were removed.  The surgery lasted about 7 hours I think...not that I know, but it was a L - O - N - G day for Greg!

Of course, this news about the lymph node is a bummer to me, but in emailing with Dr. Chui he is confident this cancer did not grow or spring up during the chemo.  And remember: I did things a little backwards since most people have surgery first, then chemo!  I comfort myself with that reminder along with his optimism that my most effective course of treatment--tamoxifen--is still ahead of me.  This may also mean I have to do radiation (BOO!) but I will, of course, keep on fighting the good fight.

While in the hospital I was visited by surgeons, plastic surgeons, physical therapists, nurses, CNAs, friends & family.   They brought me fun breathing toys and exercise handouts and discharge plans.



I've been sent home and have accumulated quite a collection of drugs: anti-biotics (which have, unfortunately, given me horrible diarrhea), pro-biotics (which I was not pro-active enough about...but am being so now), laxative (yeah...not taking that) anymore, lorazepam (taking that), anti-nausea meds (taking that), anti-diarrheal meds (taking that), oxycodone (lots of that), ibuprofen & acetaminophen.

I also have lovely draining tubes inserted into the sides of my chest and pinned to my shirt.  I empty them every handful of hours.  SUPER-glamorous, you guys!

Before....

....and after!



Since returning home I've basically had NO appetite to speak of.  I did force myself to eat toast today so I could take a pro-bioitic.  I also waffle between being FREEZING COLD and shivering to being overheated and drenched with sweat.  I honestly look like a bald NBA player with perspiration dripping down my face.  It's crazy & gross, especially since I can't wear any deoderant or anti-perspirant.

I think what I'm getting at, here, people, is that the last few days have basically sucked.  My prognosis is slightly worse but presumably not fatal, I'm smelly and sweaty and then have shivers so bad my muscles hurt, my incision sites are tender but according to people who know better than I do, they are "lovely..."

On the plus side: O trick-or-treated for the first time ever tonight (as Sheriff Woody) with his Granny and Daddy, and I'm winning my Fantasy Football game.  So there's that.

I'm sure later this week my post will be better and more optimistic, so you'll need to check back in then...Until then, keep on keepin' on!

No comments:

Post a Comment