Friday, February 10, 2012

All Night This Week...

Based on my schedule and request, my radiation treatments have been after work this week.  That means on Wednesday, Thursday, and tonight I miss the bedtime routine with O.  (Not to mention that on Tuesday, G and I attended an event to honor the Portland Police Bureau 2011 Retirees...so that will be four nights in a row...)

So far, not getting to kiss O goodnight has been the worst thing about radiation.  By far.

The skin is pinking up and I am slathering on the lotion to help keep things soothed.  I guess the silver lining there is that a lot of that area is still numb from the mastectomy / lymph node removal so it doesn't hurt as much as it might otherwise.

I was able to find a video of how the metal bars move during radiation!

Maybe that's only interesting to me, but it's the only entertainment while I'm laying there getting zapped!

Actually, youtube.com has lots of videos that show IMRT if you're really intrigued by the science of it all.

And I discovered another silver lining, because my head and / or neck aren't being treated, I'm not pinned to the table like this:




I saw this image the other day when I was looking for other pictures to describe my experience.  I talked to my treatment providers about it and they showed me how it works--yuck, yuck, yuck!  I would not like that at all (although the neck support in that picture looks nice...)

BUT in searching I also came across this photo, which makes me jealous--her arms look much more comfortable than mine are during radiation.  They fall asleep within minutes of my 20-30 minutes on the table.


Oh well, I guess you can't have EVERYTHING.
So, IN SUMMARY, THE BAD: pink skin, arms and hands that fall asleep, no O time; THE GOOD: skin is numb so it doesn't hurt, I really like the people who are providing my care.

No comments:

Post a Comment