Wednesday, February 15, 2012

6 Songs

It takes about 6 pop songs, from the time I'm brought into the radiation room until the time I am done getting zapped.  I realize that pop songs vary in length, and you have the occasional DJ talking in the middle of the songs...but no commercials on this particular Sirius/XM station so I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much count it off, assuming everything goes right:

1 Song = the time I'm on the table getting moved around, the bolus placed on my chest, etc.
1 Song = the time it takes to do the imaging, to make sure I'm on the table in the perfectly correct position
1 Song = the time it takes the team to review the imaging before starting the treatment
3 Songs = the time it takes to zap my tumor

I'm at the mercy of The Pulse satellite radio station as to how good those songs are, and it really does make a difference!!  I like PEPPY songs (even though I can't move around) because the slow ones bring me down.  "Moves Like Jagger" came on once and it was the happiest I've been with hands that were asleep, a sore spot on my head, and cold toes!

My skin is slightly pinker than it was when I started, but still not uncomfortably so.  My biggest complaint continues to be the ridiculous position I have to hold for those 6 songs.  This weekend, in fact, I woke up at 3:00 Sunday morning in excruciating pain--pinched nerve in my neck...the numbness and tingling radiated down my left arm and I could barely move.  That night and the following night I struggled to find a single position that was comfortable to sleep in, but I took an assist from my leftover surgery pain meds and have been sleeping well since then.  I talked to my doctor about it yesterday at our weekly check-in and she said I should try to keep that area nice and stretched...and she assured me that she'd refill my pain med prescription if I needed her to (hopefully I won't, but it's nice to know all I have to do is ask!!!!)

Today will be my 7th treatment; with 21 to go.  No "fatigue" yet but I didn't expect it this soon.  My appointments are now late afternoon instead of evening so I get to hang with O before bedtime.  And even though it's still annoying to have to go every weekday, it's just becoming part of the routine now...

No comments:

Post a Comment