Friday, April 6, 2012

It was One Year Ago Today

Today I was treated to lunch by my fabulous co-workers who spoiled me the WHOLE TIME I was getting treatment...shouldn't I be buying THEM lunch?

And a gift to boot, what wonderful friends I have.

I was reminded that one year ago today, in fact right around this time I think, I was walking into Epic Imaging in Beaverton for my mammogram....which then became an ultrasound.....which then became a biopsy.....and an unofficial diagnosis of breast cancer (along with prescriptions for Lorazepam and Vicodin!)

Poor G had just started his new job and was at Disneyland (formerly the Happiest Place on Earth) for a conference with his new colleagues when he got the news...which at first he did not believe as I texted him from the exam table bawling my eyes out.

I still remember with gratitude the nurse and doctor at Epic Imaging.  Their sympathy, of course, but also their willingness to do all of the procedures that day and the doctor's willingness to give me the news without saying I had to wait 48 hours for the results (when it was so obvious from the scans).  

And friend SH and cousin L who both rallied to help out around the house since I was not allowed to lift O for the first several days and most of my immediate family was out of town. 

Those first few days were among the worst, because I just did not know what was in store.  Other days in the past year have been bad and equally tear-filled, but I will never forget hearing that I had cancer.

As for today, my skin is healing up great and I finally have a hair appointment with a woman who specializes in curly hair.  It's not until the 23rd but when I told the receptionist what I look like these days, she also put me on a wait-list in case there are cancellations between now and then:

"I look like Marcia Clark!!!!!"
(having done a "google images" search for Ms Clark I should have qualified that with "circa 1994"....girl's had a little work done since then...)

I'm sure my entries here in this blog will be less frequent, but I'll try to keep up with it at least once every few weeks even if it's just to say I'm seizing the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment